Re: NM deleting WPA key secret in Fedora 12?

On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 12:25:26 -0800
Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2009-12-03 at 15:03 +0000, Brian Morrison wrote:
> > Brian Morrison wrote:
> >
> > > The fix was to paste my WPA key into the entry field after using
> > > the edit menu for my home SSID and then going to the advanced tab
> > > (at least I think that's it, don't have it in front of me just
> > > now). There is only an SSID stored, no BSSID.
> >
> > I should have added that clicking on the network SSID in the NM
> > applet's left click menu does nothing, it doesn't bring up a dialog
> > asking for the connection's secrets and in fact it does precisely
> > nothing.
> >
> > If this ever happened in F11 then I would be prompted for the WPA
> > PSK which no longer happens.
>
> This is odd, but before we do anything else, can you try the NM in
> updates-testing?  I haven't seen this at all but it could point to
> keyring issues since the WPA passphrase is stored in the keyring.

Right. I have now seen a second case of this, the symptoms were sudden
loss of network throughput but NM and the Netspeed applet both showed
the connection still working.

Reselecting my home SSID from the list in NM's left click menu resulted
in an attempt to reconnect that never succeeded. On opening the WPA
settings via NM's right-click edit menu the passphrase was blank.
Re-entering it sorted the problem out.

I see there is a new wpa-supplicant in updates-testing, do I need that
too? I will restart with the updated NM and see if anything has changed.

--

Brian