traditional static ip with nm

I have machines that must be set up with static IP addresses the traditional way, that is, edit /etc/resolv.conf and /etc/network/interfaces. Recently I've been wondering if it's possible to run Network Manager such that it's not possible to mess with those files. Why? Soon I plan to make much more use of VPNs and I would like to use Network Manager to handle that.

--
David Griffith
dgriffi cs csubak edu