Re: specifying shared key authentication in the secrets response

On Wed, 2009-12-02 at 17:06 +0000, Daniel Drake wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm working on a bug in Sugar: you can't connect to shared key WEP
> networks. http://dev.sugarlabs.org/ticket/1602
>
> The problem is that sugar's settings service implementation offers the
> connection to NM and activates it, but at this point in the settings it
> sends:
> 	'802-11-wireless-security': {'key-mgmt': 'none'}
>
> Then NM runs around a bit and sends a secrets request. Sugar pops up a
> key-entry dialog. This is the first point in the current sugar UI design
> where you can choose between open or shared key. I select shared key,
> enter the key, and sugar sends the secrets response:
>
> {'802-11-wireless-security': {'auth-alg': 'shared', 'wep-key0':
> '1111122222'}}
>
> However at this point, NM seems to ignore the 'auth-alg' selection.
> Experimentation shows that if I specify the shared auth-alg in the
> initial Settings announcement it works fine.
>
> Would it be difficult to improve NM so that it could accept the auth-alg
> at this later stage? Or do we need to redesign Sugar's UI to fix this,
> so that Sugar knows of the user's open vs shared preference earlier on?

We could do that; but NM already has some logic for this.  If you pass
back the *complete* wireless-security setting, NM will use that instead.
NM first tries to validate the entire NMSettingWirelessSecurity (using
nm_setting_verify) and if that fails, will just extract the returned
secrets.