Re: Second message, about not being able to activate 'wlan1'

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 4:54 PM, derek starr<dereklinux gmail com> wrote:
[snip]
> I have an icon on my panel bar that shows two computer terminal screens on
> top of each other.  Is that the network icon?  When I click on that icon, it
> shows the following lines in a small window:
>      Wired Network ( highlited in a gray color )
>      Auto eth0  ( highlited in a black color, with black dot on the left )
>      Wireless Networks ( highlited in a gray color )
>      wireless is disabled ( highlited in a gray color )
>      VPN connections ( highlited in a black color, with a right arrow on the
> right )

The icon of the two computer terminals is the network icon, aka nm-applet icon.

> As I said previously, when I try to activiate 'wlan1' in NetWorkManager, I
> always get an error message box, saying 'wlan1' cannot be activated.  The
> dialog message box never says why 'wlan1' cannot be activated.
>
> Can you, or anybody else, help me?  I am just not very good about figuring
> out how the GNOME NetworkManager works.

What is the manufacturer and model of your wireless networking card?
When you try to activate 'wlan1', what does NetworkManager report in
/var/log/messages?

Rod