Re: dnsmasq

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 01:28, Howard Chu <hyc symas com> wrote:
> OK, I think we're both in agreement on this. Note that internally, NM knows
> which IP config info came from which provider. My patch for dnsmasq support
> preserves the distinction between DNS servers received from a VPN and those
> received from other sources.

Good.  That is a much needed patch.

> Current versions of BIND don't give you much control over forwarding either;
> dnsmasq does.

Bind9 does.  At least it does so for me.  Dnsmasq does too, but I need
bind9 for other things (outside the scope of this thread)

>> Not necessarily.  I use a dhcp3 script to pull the forwarders out and
>> update bind9 forwarders via an include + rndc reload.   That could go
>> away if NM would allow a simple way of determining connection provided
>> forwarders... such as a post-connection script call.
>
> In what way does any of what you wrote here have anything to do with whether
> or not anybody should be overwriting /etc/resolv.conf?

It was my example of a work around that could be eliminated, perhaps
only in my case.  I didn't go down that road... you pressed for that
info. ;-)

>> Sigh.  You really aren't getting my point.  I haven't cared about
>> search or domain until you mentioned them above.  I only care about NM
>> updating resov.conf.   I don't think a all or none solution (i.e.
>> global) is reasonable, the user needs some level of control over which
>> connections are allowed to update resolv.conf.
>
> And you're still missing the point that /etc/resolv.conf is the wrong
> vehicle for exercising fine-grained control over name resolution.

I have never stated that it was.  Again, you are not reading what I am writing.

> In fact, it offers you *no* ability to do fine-grained control. On the other hand,
> dnsmasq gives you a great deal of fine control. Since you're still talking
> about bind9, I suggest you go read up on dnsmasq's features before
> continuing this conversation.

I don't want dnsmasq.  Please quit trying to push me to use only what
you use.  The world is too diverse for that.

-Jim P.