Re: Dynamic IP but DNS static (3g connection)

On Fri, 2008-09-19 at 14:43 -0600, Xavier Callejas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am impressed by the fact that knetworkmanager has an option for my ttyUSB0
> 3g modem connection.
>
> I spent about 8 hours trying to get connection with vodafone, kppp, etc.; I
> found the option in knetworkmanager by any chance :p  and it was very easy.
>
> My connection is a 3g.
>
> The IP configuration is provided dynamically but ...
>
> I don't know why when I use this modem with linux the ISP provides another DNS
> servers than when I have used it in Windows; I always have to change
> the 'resolv.conf' manually because the dns servers provided do not work (but
> this problem occurs using kppp, vodafone, knetworkmanager, pddd).

This probably means your ppp daemon is buggy; are the DNS servers
10.11.12.13 and 10.11.12.14 or something like that?  What are the
non-working ones exactly?

Upstream ppp has fixed this issue but it's possible your distro hasn't
updated with that fix yet.

I'm not sure if knetworkmanager exposes this option, but NetworkManager
certainly supports using custom DNS servers and ignoring what the
provider gives you.  In the gnome applet you choose "Automatic with
manual DNS" and you can enter your own DNS servers.

Dan