From: Martin Willi [mailto:martin strongswan org]
Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2008 2:16 AM
To: Steve Hillier
Cc: networkmanager-list gnome org
Subject: Re: nm vpn plugin api docs?

Hi,

> challenges were interactive authentication and multiple, concurrent
> connections -- this is absolutely needed because of the way openswan
> handles the case of multiple subnets over a single tunnel.

I was facing similar problems in my strongSwan IKEv2 plugin [1].
Interactive authentication is difficult and multiple active connection
is currently almost impossible to implement. I decided to strip these
features, as in most road-warrior scenarios this is not so important.

> So I checked out the latest rev from svn trunk, but I didnt see the
> API changes you mentioned. Is the rewritten code you 'shelved' even
> avaiable yet?

There have been some recent API changes:
- VPN secrets in separate settings (r4031)
- UUID, not connection ID is passed to auth dialog (r4053)

> I tried to build anyway, but I'm having a hell of a time getting all
> the dependencies satisfied. I switched to ubuntu this year, and while
> I love the stability, the software packages are dated and setting up a
> sane build environment seems to be a big first step to working on the
> 0.7 code tree.

There is a NetworkManager PPA available at launchpad [2]. Just install
all the dev packages and you are ready to go. I'm also running a
strongSwan PPA [3] for my NM plugin, so you might want to check that out
to get another example how things work.

Regards
Martin

[1]http://trac.strongswan.org/browser/trunk/src/charon/plugins/nm/