Verizon EV-DO and local addresses

Hey all,
I just learned some interesting information about Verizon's EV-DO policies. I have a Verizon card, and I could connect just fine, but every time it would disconnect after less than a minute with the following message:

Oct 24 12:46:37 tank pppd[17248]: Script /etc/ppp/ip-up started (pid 17292)

Oct 24 12:46:45 tank pppd[17248]: Script /etc/ppp/ip-up finished (pid 17292), status = 0x0

Oct 24 12:47:14 tank pppd[17248]: rcvd [LCP TermReq id=0xb]

Oct 24 12:47:14 tank pppd[17248]: LCP terminated by peer

Oct 24 12:47:14 tank pppd[17248]: Connect time 0.7 minutes.

I tried adding the lcp-echo-failure and -interval options, but this made no difference for me. Since I work for a company using lots of Verizon cards, I placed a call to enterprise support, and they informed me that if they detect *any* private address traffic over the EV-DO connection, they terminate it. Sure enough, after disabling all of my local interfaces, the connection has been up for > 30 minutes now. However, I really wanted to use the EV-DO for internet access, but eth0 for lan access. I added this rule which I think sends all 10.* addresses out the local interface instead of ppp0, but I'm not an expert in iptables by any stretch so use at your own risk:

iptables -I OUTPUT -o eth0 -s 10.0.0.0/8

I don't know if you plan to support this type of connection in the future with network manager, but I thought it would be useful information, as my Google searches turned up nothing on this problem.

Thanks for rocking the linux world with NM! Looking forward to getting my hands on 0.7!

Jason Martens