More LCP echo problems

Having solved the LCP echo problem for Mobile Broadband, I've discovered the same thing happening on a VPN connection.

The VPN dies after 2 mins, and the log entry says it's disconnecting because of no echo-reply. In etc/ppp/options i have:

lcp-echo-interval 0
lcp-echo-failure 0

this stops echo for standard PPP connections. I've added the same to options.pptp, but it doesn't make any difference.

I can't see any pppd invocation in the log for the VPN connection.

Where are the PPP defaults defined for VPN connections?

I'm running the latest ppa build for ubuntuu: svn20081018....

Rick