Re: Mobile Broadband - disconnect after 2 mins.

On Wed, 2008-10-22 at 18:18 +0100, Rick Jones wrote:
> Having hacked a binary patch into NM (just for the init string) so my
> Palm modem will connect, I now find that it systematically disconnects
> after exactly 2 minutes.
>
> In the log, the modem state suddenly goes from 8 -> 7, and then
> everything unwinds. It makes no difference whether the connection is
> idle or busy, after 2 mins. it's gone
>
> I know this modem has a problem with LCP echo - when testing it with
> pppd I had to explicitly turn LCP echo off otherwise it complained
> that it received its own echo requests. However, with echo off it will
> stay connected indefinitely using pppd.
>
> What does NM do with LCP echo? I notice there is an option in the
> config dialog for PPP echo (is that the same thing?), but that it
> won't stick so I guess it's unimplemented.
>
> Any ideas on the timeout disconnect?

It's probably the LCP echo thing.  NM does print out the PPP command
line being used in the logs, can you see if the lcp-echo-* stuff is on
it?  I do see the checkbox bug, but it's always unchecked for me,
indicating that lcp-echo-interval is never sent to pppd.  On latest SVN,
even with the checkbox bug, ppp connections use:

nodetach lock user blahblah ttyS1 noipdefault usepeerdns ipparam /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/PPP/0 plugin /usr/lib/pppd/2.4.4/nm-pppd-plugin.so

and thus no LCP echo.  Could you reply with the PPP command line that NM
executes pppd with so we can see what you've got?