Re: Mobile Broadband - how do I trace/debug the modem initialisation?

On Sat, 2008-10-18 at 12:59 +0100, Rick Jones wrote:
> I have NM 0.7 running on Ubuntu - works fine with LAN & wireless, but
> I can't get it to talk to a GPRS modem properly. Here's the scenario:
>
> The device is a Palm Treo with Mobile Stream's "USB Modem" installed.
> This offers a standard modem interface on the USB port, and I can make
> this work fine using pppd with a conventional chat script. All it
> needs is AT to kick it off, then AT+CGDCONT=1. etc., all standard
> stuff.
>
> NM recognises the modem when it's connected, and allows me to setup a
> Mobile Broadband entry. But when I try to connect I just get
> "connection failed". Looking at the logs I get:
>
> Activation (ttyACM0) Stage 1 of 5 (Device Prepare) complete
> init_done(): Modem initialization timed out
> (ttyACM0): device state change: 4 -> 9
> .... [various failure / closedown messages ]
>
> It seems to get no response from the modem. This doesn't make sense,
> as I can minicom to ttyACM0 and manually go through the "AT" dialling
> sequence!

It depends on what that sequence is, and whether the modem actually does
GSM standard sequences...

What does AT+GCAP? and ATI return for your device?

> I've looked at 10-modem.fdi, and I assume it's using the generic GPRS
> entry at the bottom. I've tried adding an entry with explicit USB IDs
> but this doesn't make any difference. Using lsusb -v, the device
> reports that it supports V25ter, which I guess is covered by V250 in
> the fdi file.

With recent SVN, become root, then:

NM_SERIAL_DEBUG=1 NM_PPP_DEBUG=1 /usr/sbin/NetworkManager --no-daemon

and try to connect.  Please respond with the output that NM returns,
removing any PIN/PUK and such of course :)  I'm quite curious.