Re: Option HSO device + NetworkManager 0.7

On Wed, Oct 08, 2008 at 12:14:25PM -0400, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-10-07 at 23:10 +0100, Jonathan McDowell wrote:
> > I have an Option Icon 225 (provided by Orange in the UK). I'm currently
> > using it with HSOConnect and a 2.6.27-rc8 kernel with the hso kernel
> > driver. However I'd like to get it working with Network Manager as that
> > seems like a much cleaner solution.
> >
> > I'm running Debian testing and have compiled up the pkg-utopia packages
> > of NetworkManager (svn r4142) and network-manager-applet (svn r920).
> > That gives me a control panel regarding PPP connections, but plugging in
> > the USB dongle doesn't result in NM doing anything. I've tried
> > installing the Option provided udev bits that include some HAL scripts
> > regarding the modem. That makes NM show the device is available, but
> > clicking on it seems to result in PPP being invoked and failing.
> >
> > My understanding (and experience with HSOConnect) is that PPP shouldn't
> > be involved at all for this device. What am I missing in terms of
> > getting it running under NM? I had a look at recent hal-info git but
> > couldn't see anything obvious?
>
> Correct, PPP doesn't get invoked at all with these devices.  Can you
> provide some log output from /var/log/messages or /var/log/daemon.log
> that shows where you plug in the device and where NM recognizes it?
>
> You need the udev rules to eject the ZeroCD mass storage device that
> always pops up when you plug the thing in, but after that you'll get the
> serial devices that are needed to control the dongle.  Once you've tried
> to connect, grab logs from the aforementioned places and reply to this
> message with them.

Ok, reading the source further and peering at lshal has led me to the
conclusion that it was the hal-info data that was missing. Dropping the
attached file in /usr/share/hal/fdi/information/10freedesktop/ leads to
success. Without the file, nothing happens. With the version from wader
(which neglects the serial.port test) 2 ttyHS? files are treated as
valid devices, which causes some confusion. With the hal-info file from
hso-udev (which contains the ozerocdoff tool) the tty device that
advertises the GSM command set doesn't have the same parent as the hso0
network device, so it's just treated as a normal GSM modem (hence the
call to PPP when I first tried).

J.

--
   Why did Kamikaze pilots wear    |  .''`.  Debian GNU/Linux Developer
             helmets?              | : :' :  Happy to accept PGP signed
                                   | `. `'   or encrypted mail - RSA +
                                   |   `-    DSA keys on the keyservers.
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <!-- -*- xml -*- -->

<deviceinfo version="0.2">
  <device>
      <!-- Option -->
      <match key="@info.parent:usb.vendor_id" int="0x0af0">
        <!-- Option Icon 225 -->
        <match key="@info.parent:usb.product_id" int="0x6971">
          <match key="@info.parent:usb.interface.number" int="0">
	    <match key="serial.port" int="0">
              <append key="info.capabilities" type="strlist">modem</append>
              <append key="modem.command_sets" type="strlist">GSM-07.07</append>
              <append key="modem.command_sets" type="strlist">GSM-07.05</append>
	    </match>
          </match>
        </match>
      </match>