RE: default route problem

On this same topic, Network Manager also removes any NON default routes that
you have.  I personally sometimes set different routes up for the internal
network.  These are NOT given out by DHCP, but when you connect/disconnect a
VPN, those routes are blown away.  I would LOVE for this to be addressed.

Trey Nolen

On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 2:43 PM, Vitja Makarov <vitja makarov gmail com>
wrote:
> DHCP provides default route, but when you bring pptp up, you may want
> to use ppp device as default route, e.g internet.
> Then if you'll replace default one with ppp, then you will loose route
> to pptp server.
>
> 2008/10/6 Stuart Ward <stuart ward bcs org>:
>> Am I missing something obvious, but shouldn't the DHCP server provide
>> the default route to the client.
>>
>> eg my dhcpd.conf
>>
>> subnet 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
>>        option routers 192.168.0.4;
>>        range 192.168.0.10 192.168.0.50;
>>        option netbios-name-servers 192.168.0.2;        #wins server
>> }
>>
>> Where 192.168.0.4 is the default router
>>
>> -- Stuart Ward M +44 7782325143
>>

>> On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 12:51 PM, Vitja Makarov <vitja makarov gmail com>
wrote:
>>> Hi, all!
>>>
>>> Home ISP often use the following network configuration scheme:
>>>
>>> - Lan IP address is assigned using DHCP
>>> - PPTP is used for internet connection
>>>
>>> If pptp server is in your network, that should be ok to replace
>>> default route with ppp one, but when pptp server is routed via DHCP
>>> provided default route, you can't simply do it, you have first
>>> provide manually route for pptp server, then remove default.
>>>
>>> Can we solve a problem this way:
>>> - user should choose which networks he want to route using DHCP
>>> default route
>>> - then add pptp server to this list
>>> - build rules and change routing table
>>> - then remove default route, or increase metrics
>>> - launch pppd
>>> - if failed restore previous settings
>>>

>>> That should make pptp configuration less painful on linux desktop.
>>> That should be useful for all other kinds of PPP as well.
>>>
>>> I can provide some sample code in few days, using libnl.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> vitja.