Command Line Questions

I am trying out Ubuntu Hardy Beta, so I know Ubuntu probably bastardized
network manager in it again.  I have a few issues which I know are
probably kernel related to my wireless since the move to iwlwifi, so
I'll leave them out, but I have a few more issues that I was wondering
if someone could point me to command line syntax so I can troubleshoot
further.

1.  Connecting to ESSIDs with guest mode off, and no encryption fails.

2.  VPNC plugin gets hung in stage 2:
Mar 24 11:09:17 ghost NetworkManager: <info>  VPN Activation (PRC) Stage
2 of 4 (Connection Prepare Wait) scheduled...
Mar 24 11:09:17 ghost NetworkManager: <info>  VPN Activation (PRC) Stage
2 of 4 (Connection Prepare Wait) waiting...

message repeated 10 times in log and connection never attempted..

Anyway, can I run these from command line somehow to get more detailed
debugging other than what's logged?

BTW:  It is v0.6.6

Thanks,

Greg