Re: networkmanager and WEP shared keys problem

On Mon, 2008-01-14 at 17:32 -0200, Amadeu Júnior wrote:
> On Jan 14, 2008 2:58 PM, Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2008-01-14 at 12:18 -0200, Amadeu Júnior wrote:
> > > When I try to use the nm-applet to fill the pass with "shared keys"
> > > option the NetworkManager try:
> >
> > What password type are you choosing from the dropdown menu?
>
> I had choosed "WEP 128-bit passphrase" :)
>
> >You should be using "WEP 40/128-bit ASCII", I believe, given the
> wep_key0 option
> > you've shown from your wpa_supplicant config file.  Using the "" for
> > that option in the wpa_supplicant config indicates that you are using an
> > ASCII passphrase, not a normal WEP passphrase.
>
> ohhh ok !! You are right, I have trying and it works :) Sorry for my mistake :)

No problem; WEP just sucks because there are 3 different ways to enter
WEP keys (hex, passphrase, and ascii) and two different auth methods
(open and shared) and there is _no_ way to distinguish any of them from
each other.  WPA fixes this because you can actually distinguish a WPA
hex key from a WPA passphrase, if entered correctly (WPA hex keys are 64
characters, passphrases are between 8 and 63 characters inclusive).  The
problem with WEP is that you can certainly have a passphrase that's the
same lenth as a hex key (26 characters), and I've seen many cases where
people are actually using a hex key as a WEP passphrase.