More issues with NM-0.6 and non-broadcast SSID

My chronic problem with non-broadcast SSID has hit upon
an interesting workaround.  I'm using Fedora 7 with the
following package versions:

NetworkManager-0.6.5-7.fc7
kernel-2.6.23.9-45.fc7
wpa_supplicant-0.5.7-4.fc7

I'm using the iwl3945 driver in the kernel.  When I try to
connect to my office network (non-broadcast, open 802.11g)
it rarely connects.  If I shut down NM, reset the driver,
and just let it come up on it's own it connects fine.

But yesterday I figured out that if I tell the driver to
connect to any bssid then it will work great, and connects
right away.  In other words, as soon as I tell NM to try to
connect (or as soon as it tries to connect all on its own!)
I need to type the following command:

  iwconfig eth1 essid <essid> ap 00:00:00:00:00:00

And then it connects right away!!  Yesterday it took me about
30 minutes of trial and error to get NM to accept the connection,
but today... Voom.  I typed this command when NM was trying
to connect and voila, it connected!

So it looks like the NM/wpa_supplicant bssid assignment isn't very
happy here.  I'm glad I found a workaround, but is there anything we
can do to make it so I don't have to do this manually?

Thanks,

-derek
       warlord MIT EDU                        PGP key available