Re: tsocks support by NetworkManager?

On Thu, 2008-12-18 at 08:46 +0100, Matej Kovacic wrote:
> Hi,
>
> a feature request: tsocks support by NetworkManager.
>
> Under "IPv4 settings" below "DHCP Client ID" there should be an option
> "Default system SOCKS proxy".
>
> User should have tsocks package installed and settings (server and port)
> should be put to tsocks.conf by NetworkManager and tsocks restarted.
>
> Server set by user could also be local Tor server or anything else...

This would be better done by external dispatcher scripts based on
connection UUID, rather than done by NM itself, for precisely the same
reason that normal proxy support, WINS server, etc aren't in NM right
now.  For the moment I'm drawing the line at core Layer 3 IP-related
settings like IP addressing, routes, and DNS.  Anything additional
configuration above that (proxies, socks, WINS/NBNS, YellowPages, etc)
should, for now, be done from dispatcher scripts instead.

It's pretty easy to do; the dispatcher will put the connection's UUID in
the CONNECTION_UUID environment variable.  Thus, the dispatcher script
can match the particular proxy settings with a specific connection, and
do the right thing.  If the DHCP server returns proxy information, you
can also get that from the dispatcher script environment.

I tend to think there should be a separate "proxies" applet somewhere,
at least for now.