Network manager and 802.11s

Hi,

I'm an undergraduate student studying Software Engineering, and I'm
currently investigating topics for my undergrad dissertation/project.
I'm interested in mesh networks and sent a mail out on the Linux
wireless list to ask what sort of thing is needing done and would make
a good project.  One of the suggestions was adding mesh network
support to networkmanager, so that applications can use a high level
API to utilise the unique features of such networks and get
information as to the stability and other properties of a mesh
network.

So my question is, is this a sensible project? does it fit within
network manager? If not where should I go?

Cheers

Keir