Re: [RFC] Install introspection files

On Wed, 2008-04-16 at 14:45 +0200, Helmut Schaa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using the NetworkManager introspection files for automatically generating
> the Qt-DBus-Objects needed for KNetworkManager. Currently I keep a copy of
> the introspection files in my development tree due to the fact that
> NetworkManager does not install the introspection files anywhere.
>
> I'd like to get rid of this copy as I have to update the files every now and
> then ;)

Yes, this is a fine idea.

> Attached are two patches:
>
> 1) install_introspection_files.patch
> - Add configure-flag to specify where to install the introspection-files
>   (default is $(prefix)/share/dbus-1/interfaces)
> - Install the introspection-files to that directory

Patch has:

+    DBUS_INTROSPECTION_DIR="${prefix}/dbus-1/share/interfaces"

I assume that's supposed to be:

+    DBUS_INTROSPECTION_DIR="${prefix}/share/dbus-1/interfaces"

right?

> 2) rename_introspection_files.patch
> - Rename all introspection files according to the interface it describes as
>   nm-* is not a suitable name for installed introspection files.
>
> The second patch leaves some questions open as some introspection files
> contain more then one interface (e.g. nm-exported-connection.xml) or one
> interface is described in two files (e.g. nm-manager.xml and
> nm-manager-client.xml).

The manager/manager-client split is mentioned in a few places in the
archives, basically that dbus-glib, because it creates C wrappers for
some of the functions, can't distinguish between 'sleep' (the old
method) and 'Sleep' (the new method).

We should probably just take Will's advice and rename the current
Sleep() method and get rid of the duplicate files.

> I solved that currently by using the first interface as filename for
> nm-exported-connection.xml and renaming nm-manager.xml to
> org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerLegacy.xml while nm-manager-client.xml is
> renamed to org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.xml.

It's fine to split out
org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerSettings.Connection.Secrets to a separate
file.