Re: NetworkManager 0.7 doesn't recognize wired or wireless network

On Fri, 2008-04-11 at 09:40 +0100, Alastar wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am experiencing some problems with the new version of NetworkManager.
>
> I compiled the version 0.7 from the svn on a slackware 12.0. Everything
> went well.
> When I start it, simply it shows only this:
>
> root thor:~# NetworkManager --no-daemon
> NetworkManager: <info>  starting...
> NetworkManager: <info>  Trying to start the supplicant...
> NetworkManager: <info>  eth0: Device is fully-supported using driver
> 'sis900'.
> NetworkManager: <info>  Found new Ethernet device 'eth0'.
> NetworkManager: <info>  (eth0): exported as
> /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/net_00_03_0d_2d_db_74
> NetworkManager: <info>  Trying to start the system settings daemon...
> NetworkManager: <info>  Bringing up device eth0
> NetworkManager: <info>  Deactivating device eth0.
>
> and it doesn't do anything else.

So it's found the device, but now you need to tell it to connect to
something.  The system settings service will create default DHCP
connections for each wired device, but there's no slackware plugin for
it so it will just exit.  I'll probably just make the system settings
service not exit when it's not given a plugin.  But that won't help you
if you want static IP addresses or to customize the DNS servers, for
that you need a real slackware plugin.