How to get NetworkManager connect to known WIFI networks upon BOOT

My Ubuntu 7.10 computer boots up and gets its IP address just fine
when it is on a wired network (via DHCP).

It can also connect to wireless networks, however, it requires me to
be logged on to gnome and enter my password.

I want to skip all of that and make NetworkManager connect to several
known wifi networks automatically upon boot, even if no one logs on to
this laptop.

In Fedora, I wrote a custom  script calling wpa_supplicant with a .conf
file, but I want to integrate NetworkManager better as I like its
reconnection abilities.

So. How can I make NM connect to password protected wifi networks upon
boot, without users logging in?

How can I do it?