256 WEP keys, network-admin

I use a 256bit (64 character) WEP key. Yes, I have tried shortening the key by 6 digits. I've tried this on the commandline using iwconfig and than dhclient, and also through /etc/network/interfaces

I was using knetworkmanager but it stopped showing available networks recently.

iwconfig key xxxx64xdigitsxxxx truncates the key to 32 characters.

If I use $network-admin running gnome I can see the network listed and configure the key but nothing happens - I get no feedback.

Where should I go next with this?