Re: talk about going around robinhood's barn...

On 3/14/07, Mike Padlipsky <the map alum mit edu> wrote:

... or maybe hunting heffalumps.  but apparenty the only way i can
perhaps get what i take to be a simple question about networkmanager
answered is to 'post a message to all the list members' and hope
somebody either knows the answer or at least can aim me at whoever
the unspecified-anywhere-i-could-spot purveyors of this program the
apparent web site of which
[http://www.gnome.org/projects/NetworkManager/] seems to have been
composed by an old-line ibm salesman, since all it does is tell you
how great it's going to be.  [unless, of course, i'm supposed to
plink the red hat inc. link since they're the copyright holders, even
tho i always thought there were only copyleft's in this world.]

answer by direct netmail, as we called it when we were inventing it,
please, since as should be obvious i'm not on the mailing list and
have no desire to be on it.  [don't ask why; i might answer ... at
far more length than you'll want to see.]

so, here's what i want to know:  how, if at all, can i get
networkmanager to offer me a choice between both the built-in wifi
widget in my new lenovo 3000 n100 [which i think of as "VistaSystem
1" because, like playstations, if you work incredibly hard you can
get at the computer you know is in there rather than just do the
things it wants you to do -- as in play playstation games on
playstations and use vista on vistastations -- provided you're
willing to run the super grub disc to clean up after incredible
obscenities that vista commits upon the mbr if you happen to need to
use the now dual-booted vista that comes with the thing ... and which
will wipe out your linux along with everything else on the hard drive
if you have to reinstall the bloody vista], which isn't the ipw3945
i'd been misled to believe it was going to be, but some broadcom
thing that's apparently not going to be usable on linux yet [i speak
after a week or more of trying to get it to work ... and, of course,
failing], and the airlink usb thing i picked up for 12bux at fry's in
case i could never get what i thought at the time was the ipw3945 to
work, but it was supposed to on linux, especially ubuntu 6.10, which
i happened to choose for reasons i've already forgotten but i think
had something to do wit the ipw3945 was supposed to work with it.

ok, that's a rather involved sentence.  and it doesn't quite make the
real point, which is that there's the built-in wifi on eth1 that
doesn't work and this usb wifi on eth2 that should work, but all
network manager seems to do is notice eth1, so how can i make it
notice both [and then select the latter] -- or can't i make it notice
both and i'll have to wait for ubuntu 7.04 which is supposed to
support the built-in [i think]?

and PLEASE don't tell me to switch to your favorite 'distro'
instead.  i just invested another several hours doing a clean
reinstall of 6.10 in hopes of clearing away all the messes i'd made
trying to get all three of the wifi widgets to work and then either
get the usb one to work or wait until 'feisty' comes out officially
because there's enough about the current ubuntu that i do like that i
don't intend to abandon it ... this time; i've abandoned any number
of 'distros' over the last few years, and i think i'm finally willing
to stay with it.  so if i have to use bloody vista to get at the 'net
from my living room when i want to get at the net from my living room
for 6 weeks or so, so be it.

for that matter, don't ask me exactly which broadcom and zydas chips
are involved either.  i know that neither might be workable [except
for the fact that somehow i did get one of them -- i think the usb
one -- to work, once, it's just that it wouldn't work the next time
and i couldn't recreate what i'd done to accidentally make it work
after that], but all i want to know is how i can i get netmanager to
let me see/choose between eth1 and eth2.

and yes, i have wasted far too much time looking for anything
remotely resembling documentation on networkmanager.  all i found was
a probably outdated 'faq' which was no help and which didn't indicate
how to communicate with whoever wrote it ... unless the plinkable
last revised by item that led to a logically blank page was meant to
be the way to communicate, in which case it's broken.

thanks, and

cheers, map

Ok in that long email I was not able to determine exactly what issue
you are having so let me try and break it down.

You have two wireless cards:
1) Broadcom Mini-PCI
2) Some USB device

Network Manager sees the MiniPCI device but not the USB device?

Can you post your /etc/network/interfaces (commenting out any keys)

and post the type of chipset in the usb device?

Please make sure you include the list on the reply so others can see
the same information.

Thanks