Re: Cannot get NM to run

On 2/28/07, Ruland, Robert E. <ruland slac stanford edu> wrote:
My goal is to connect to a WPA secured network. I am running Ubuntu 6.10 on an IBM Thinkpad T40p. Built-in wireless is disabled in BIOS, I use a D-Link DWL-G650M PCMCIA card instead. The card works fine using the XP drivers under Linuxant. I have no problems connecting to an open network after manually configuring the ESSID and IP info. To get WPA support, I installed NM by : "sudo apt-get install network-manager-gnome". The command completed successfully. Then I edited the "interfaces" commenting out everything except the "Io" statements. However, even after several reboots, still no sign of NM.

Synaptic tells me that network-manager and network-manager-gnome are installed, v 0.6.3.2ubuntu6. The nm-applet is listed in the Start-up Programs list.

When "killall NetworkManager && NetworkManager --no-daemon" (as suggested in another thread)

root_at_Frodo:/home/rer# killall NetworkManager && NetworkManager --no-daemon
NetworkManager: <information>  starting...
NetworkManager: <Warning>        nm_dbus_init (): nm_dbus_init (): could not acquire hte NetworkManager service as it is already taken (ret-3). Is the daemon already running?
NetworkManager: <ERROR>   [1172619287.397157] main  ():    nm_dbus_init ()  failed, exiting. Either dbus is not running, or NetworkManager dbus security policy was not loaded.
NetworkManager: traceback:
NetworkManager:                        NetworkManager(main+0x47f)  [0x80681af]
NetworkManager:                        /lib/tls/1686/cmov/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xdc)  [0xb7c2f8cc]:
NetworkManager: <debug info>     [117261947.586695] nm_print_open_socks  (): Open Socket List Done.
NetworkManager:                        NetworkManager  [0x80530a1]
Trace/breakpoint trap  (core dumped)

Any idea what could prevent NM from running, what am I missing?

Thx, Robert

Robert,

Why did you disable the onboard wireless card?  T40's usually come
with an Atheros card or IPW2100 both of which should work fine where
your Dlink card requires some type of NDIS wrapper which judging by
your description does not support WEXT so Network Manager cannot
support it.

Do you know what chipset your Dlink card has?