Re: Picks up weird numbers

On 6/29/07, Bluejack <bluejack bluejack com> wrote:
Ahoy... I've been beating my head against a wall for several days now
trying to understand what gnome is doing to my network connection. I
have a dsl modem with cat 5 into a hub, and then my several machines
on wire to the hub. My windows machines are all on dhcp and plenty
happy. The dsl modem is the dhcp server.

However, gnome's Desktop->Administration->Networking settings, when
set to dhcp pick up some rubbish, invalid nameservers. I still don't
know where they are coming from, or why.

So I used the Networking admin to turn off dhcp, use a local ip
address outside my dhcp range, and specify the nameservers explicitly.
However, NetworkManager periodically throws out these settings and
reverts my system to the rubbish settings.

I'd be perfectly content to simply disable all this gui junk and go
with ifconfig and /etc/resolv.conf, but I thought I'd see if I could
get any insight into how this is *supposed* to work, and what might be
wrong with my installation.

BTW: is Desktop->Administration->Networking related to NetworkManager?
Because that is one annoying piece of admin gui. You can define a
location, but changing setting while in a location doesn't edit the
location as you might expect. In fact, there seems to be no way to
edit a location. Moreover, if you set a location, and then open the
gui again, it automatically reverts to whatever settings
NetworkManager, in its wisdom, has imposed on the machine. Selecting
the location again may or may not work.

Hope you folks can help me understand what interplay of administrative
helpers are currently driving me out of my mind.

-Bluejack

What distribution are you running?  Network Manager accepts whatever
DNS servers your DHCP server gives out are you trying to use some that
are different than what it gives out?