Re: Wake on LAN support. NetworkManager?

Holger Macht wrote:
Hi,

I'm currently looking for a place to integrate Wake On LAN
capabilities/enablement. As a logical result, NetworkManager came to my
mind.

When talking about Wake On LAN, I'm talking about the functionality
ethtool provides, and about the network drivers which implement ethtool
support. I've already created a proof-of-concept patch. The current work
is based on NetworkManager-0.6.5, just because it's the most recent stable
release.

I've added three new D-Bus methods:

  getWakeOnLanEnabled
  getWakeOnLanSupported
  setWakeOnLanEnabled

So this mail is not a "please commit", but rather a question if it makes
sense to integrate into NetworkManager at all. The other possibility would
be to add to HAL if it doesn't fit into the NetworkManager concept.

Comments?

  - Holger

I won't comment on the patch itself (I haven't looked it over yet here) but I am wondering exactly what you mean - assuming the laptop is asleep/off NM won't be running/active to catch the WOL signal - or is this supposed to send it to another machine? I admit I am not familiar with the ethtool and what it does wrt WOL (and only have 1 machine that support WOL afaik) but I would think this is something that would be more suited for hal, or a persons bios (in fact, as far as I knew, it has to be enabled in bios - but I know I am not the most knowledgeable person, and I am always willing to learn!)