Re: Corporate Networks & Hidden SSID

On Wed, 2007-01-24 at 10:15 -0500, Darren Albers wrote:
> On 1/24/07, Grant Williamson <traxtopel gmail com> wrote:
> > Dan,
> > are there any plans for Network Manager to handle hidden essid's?
> > i.e. using wpa_supplicant I can connect with the following config.
> >
> > ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
> > eapol_version=1
> > network={
> >                 ssid="MBI"
> >                 scan_ssid=1
> >                 eap=TLS
> >                 key_mgmt=IEEE8021X
> >                 pairwise=TKIP
> >                 group=WEP104
> >                 identity="traxtopel mbi com"
> >                 ca_cert="/etc/eap/cacert.pem"
> >                 client_cert="etc/eap/key.pem"
> >                 private_key="/etc/eap/key.pem"
> >                 private_key_passwd="whodareswins"
> >                 eapol_flags=3
> > }
> >
> > With networkmanager it never connects(the only way I have ever managed
> > to connect was to quickly do a iwconfig eth0 essid MBI and then fingers
> > crossed it worked once).
> >

> <snip>
>
> I don't think the issue is a hidden SSID, I think the problem is using
> EAP with WEP which I don't /think/ NetworkManager supports at this
> time.  Dan, correct me if I am wrong.

Ah, you're right.  This is the "compat" mode that allows WEP clients to
continue to work with WPA base stations; since WEP clients don't know
anything about pairwise keys they can work as normal, but WPA-capable
clients can use TKIP/CCMP for all STA<->AP communication.

That's likely the problem, yes.