Re: NM versus wpa_gui

On Mon, 2007-02-26 at 07:52 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
> > > Specifically in fixing the Z-order of the popup?
> >
> > No, thats still broken. I think the correct behaviour for the popup
> > should be
> > A) go to top of the window stack
> > B) not steal focus from the currently active window
> > Right now, it goes behind all other windows :-(
>
> Patches appreciated...  I looked at this quickly a while ago and
> couldn't find anything out of the ordinary.

Unfortunately I think this needs to be addressed within Metacity.  They
wanted 100% consistency with applications launching popup windows, so
basically everything gets started in the background and hinted *urgent*.
This behaviour has been driving me insane recently.  It really doesn't
work well when you have lot's of windows open.

For a while I was wondering if libnotify would be a better user
experience for most dialogs.  That look consistent, stack, appear on the
top layer of the screen and don't steal focus.  Just a thought.

Jon