Re: Fedora 8 and PEAP

On 03/12/2007, Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com> wrote:
> Make sure you're using the latest NM that just got pushed out yesterday
> (?) first.  Second, what's the wpa_supplicant config file that allows
> you to get connected?  There isn't an option for the peaplabel=
> parameter yet, because it's unclear how many people need that at the
> moment.  You may wish to try toggling the peapver= parameter too.
> Basically, if you can get a working wpa_supplicant config file, then we
> have a great change of figuring out whether it's an NM isuse (not
> setting the right config bits in wpa_supplicant), or whether the drivers
> just suck too much (also a possibility given the immaturity of mac80211
> if that's what you're using).

Hey, I do also have connection problems with the iwl3945 driver on F8.
It really seems to be a driver problem connecting to my univ.'s
network. But it is largely exacerbated by NM.

I can get a more stable connection using wpa_supplicant and dhclient
directly (and disabling NM) with this config:

network={
        ssid="eduroam"
        key_mgmt=WPA-EAP
        eap=PEAP
        identity=<my_user_name>
        phase2="auth=MSCHAPV2"
}

but still from time to time the wlan0 interface gets into the NO_CARRIER state.

With NM I can connect but as soon as wlan0 goes into NO_CARRIER NM
sends the connection down and tries to bring it up again several times
in a row asking for connections parameters again, etc. Very annoying.

Usually wlan0 will get out of the NO_CARRIER state after a while and I
can continue using the connection when not using NM.

I guess I should report this to Fedora's bugzilla. Any news about the
driver getting more stable? Actually today, the univ's network admins
sent an email asking that people update their drivers (on windows) for
the intel chipsets 2200, 3945 and 4945, so it seems even the windows
drivers suck.

Rui