Re: NM does not work with iwl4965 device

On 8/5/07, Peter Van Lone <petervl gmail com> wrote:
> On 8/5/07, Darren Albers <dalbers gmail com> wrote:
>

> > I have seen others post the same issues and they generally have
> > various levels of success by using wpa_supplicant with ap_scan=2 or 1.
> >   I forgot which one NM uses but you may have need to use the other to
> > connect to a hidden AP however changing that in NM and rebuilding the
> > package is probably too much of a hassle for the very little (if any)
> > benefit that not broadcasting your SSID gives you.
>
> I'm having the same issue, but since I don't controll the AP
> configuration, and since "Windows users don't seem to be having any
> problems" .... well you know the rest of that line!
>
> So, I'd like to try change the ap_scan parameter, but I cannot find my wpa
> _supplicant.conf file. It is not in /etc or in /etc/NetworkManager.
>
> Where can I find it, what can I do?
>
> Peter

wpa_supplicant.conf would only be used if you managed it yourself and
not via Network-Manager.

It is in the source under nm-device-802-11-wireless.c look for:
const char *		ap_scan = "AP_SCAN 1";

HOWEVER, looking over the code it looks like the code is different
than I remember and uses ap_scan 2 when the AP is non-broadcast.  You
could try changing that to 1 and see if that helps but the easiest way
to do this would be to create a wpa_supplicant.conf and call it from
wpa_supplicant manually and see if you can associate.

There are some examples here:
http://www.rrze.uni-erlangen.de/dienste/internet-zugang/wlan/wpa_supplicant.conf

If you are using wpa psk try this as a wpa_supplicant.conf:

network={
	ssid="yourssid"
	scan_ssid=1
       # try both 1 and 2 here
	psk="your preshared key"
	}

Then call it with:
wpa_supplicant -Dwext -iwlan0 -c/path/to/wpa_supplicant.conf -ddd

Replace wlan0 with your interface (-ddd triggers a lot of debugging).