Re: trouble with network manager connecting to ap's & dell 1390 ndiswrapper

On 9/23/06, colin williams <psientist gmail com> wrote:
Hello,

 I'm unable to connect to ap's in the nm-applet list. It shows the available
 ap's but it cannot connect to them. I believe that NetworkManager is having
 trouble setting the ssid, but when I manually use iwconfig wlan0 essid ssid
 it works. Does anybody have a fix?I am running ubuntu  edgy. I had
simlilar problems in dapper also, which is why I tried edgy.

sudo ndiswrapper -v
Password:
utils Error: no version specified!
driver version:        1.22
vermagic:       2.6.17-7-generic SMP mod_unload 586 REGPARM gcc-4.1

I think here is the problem:
#
NetworkManager: <information>   wpa_supplicant(1717):  00:16:ce:5e:c9:66
#
NetworkManager: <information>   wpa_supplicant(1717): Driver does not
#
support WPA.

I think this is a bug with the edgy package or possibly ndiswrapper
doesn't support WPA with your card, the Ubuntu maintainer used Robert
Love's wireless driver patch to support drivers that don't properly
support the latest Wireless Extensions.  The older NDISWrapper was one
of those drivers, however I am pretty sure that the newer versions of
NDISWrapper support the latest WEXT so the patch should be changed to
not pass -Dndiswrapper when it detects a card using ndiswrapper.

You can also try using the Broadcom driver that came with Edgy, I have
heard that it works well for /some/ broadcom cards.