Re: NAT-PMP?

On Mon, 2006-10-09 at 19:38 +0200, Fabian Zeindl wrote:
> Dan Williams schrieb:
> > I'd think it was somewhat outside the scope of NM, but it's certainly in
> > the scope of a firewall control tool.  There's already a need for a
> > system-wide service to manage firewall stuff, David Zeuthen has already
> > written about this but I can't find it at the moment.
> >
> > In any case, the problem is with things like gnome-user-share.  It's
> > awesome, but it requires you to turn off the firewall, or use a tool
> > like firestarter to help you out.  Now, if that tool could request a
> > specific port be opened automatically (subject to approval and/or some
> > other security policy of course!) things would Just Work much better.
> > That's likely the best place for this sort of thing, be it NAT-PMP,
> > UPnP, or the older Rendezvous thing that does the same thing.
>
> NAT-PMP _is_ the older rendezvous thing. ;-) The protocol apple uses in
> it's AirPort devices. just for clearing this: it's not about controlling
> local iptable but talking to the router which does the port forwarding.

Right, but presumably you need to open up some ports in your firewall to
even be able to get traffic back, which is completely orthogonal to
talking to the router int he first place.  It seems like something that
controls the firewall and punches holes through should also be the thing
that talks NAT-PMP, UPnP, etc.

> it's not very wide deployed but at the moment all clients to the
> communication with the NAT-PMP router on their own. a central
> (dbus-controlled) service would be a benefit I think, but maybe that's
> really outside the scope of NM and should be implemented in another daemon?

I don't think that's network manager, because it's an application-level
service and NetworkMangaer deals with network connections, not what an
app does over that connection.

Dan