"Autoip"

How do I prevent Network manager from doing this really annoying
pseudo-connection with IP 169.254.56.71

NetworkManager: <information>^INo DHCP reply received.  Automatically
obtaining IP via Zeroconf.
NetworkManager: <information>^Iautoip: Sending probe #0 for IP address
169.254.56.71.

I suppose if you have no Internet connection but you do have a LAN, it might
have some value - but really, most LANs have a DHCP server.  When I can't
reach my DHCP server I don't WANT the system to think I'm network connected.
All sorts of things start to happen when I connect - ntp, nntp, pop & imap
clients all start to ask for data, and it's a whole lot easier just to tell
my system the truth - that there's no network connection - than to try to
change all their scripts.
--
derek