NetworkManager with hidden ESSID

Dear all,

I have a problem with NetworkManager at work, where the APs don't broadcast their ESSID. At home, where I don't hide the ESSID, there is no problem.

So, here it goes: I'm running NetworkManager on a Dell D600 and really like it, especially the dispatcher feature. However, when I'm at work, the internal wireless network does not show up in the list that the nm-applet provides. I can connect to it without problem using the 'Connect to other wireless networks' option. Then it shows in the list. However, next time I reboot the machine and look into the applet, the internal network is gone again from the list. It's a WEP encrypted network, if that makes any difference.

in ~/.gconf/system/networking/wireless/networks I find a configuration for the network, but it never shows up. It kind of defeats the purpose of NetworkManager, if you need to configure the same network all the time again.

I googeled already, but didn't find any answer.

Am I completely optimistic to assume, that the network should show up, once it was configured correctly? Is there any solution for that?
The way it is now, it's useless for me :(

I'm running Ubuntu Dapper Drake and tried both the default network manager version, which is 0.6.0 and the lastest (0.6.4) one compiled form sources.

Thanks and cheers,

	a very frustrated Riko