Re: Is NetworkManager Single User only?

On Sun, 2006-03-12 at 16:47 -0600, Eli Criffield wrote:
> When using a wifi + a key, network manager won't connect to a network
> until you login and unlock the gnome-keyring. Unless I'm mistaken this
> means no networking until I login to the console, or someone logs in
> else who knows the wifi key.

Right; NM doesn't do multi-user yet.

The next version of NM is planned to support system-wide configuration,
which is what you're asking for here.  An administrator will be able to
"publish" a key or other network authorization information to the
system.  Once that information is set up, connection on bootup and
multi-user connection won't be a problem since the info is available for
everyone to use (but not to read, of course).  That should make Ubuntu
devs happy :)

As we continue to develop NetworkManager, we're going to build it out to
support more use cases.  NM was originally developed for just one
targetted use case; that of laptop and mobile users.  The goal is to
build to support more cases, but still make laptop and mobile cases
drop-dead simple.