Re: How to get VPNC working on FC5?

On Wed, 2006-06-07 at 08:33 -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com> writes:
>
> > On Tue, 2006-06-06 at 18:47 -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
> >> Hmm..  After rebooting and restarting (due to a number of other
> >> reasons) the VPN configuration is now in the list.  I guess I would
> >> have assumed it would get there in real-time.
> >
> > Yes, it really should pick these things up in real-time.  But right now
> > that code isn't there, unfortunately.  It's a bug.
>
> Should I file a bug in bugzilla?

Sure.  Robert and I had discussed doing this with inotify or something,
because what we really want to do is monitor the vpn service config
files directory: /etc/NetworkManager/VPN/.  NM won't expose VPN
connections that don't have a valid service file in that directory, and
of course since it doesn't pick up the service files until it's
restarted, you can't just add a VPN plugin and go.

The other alternative would be sending NM a HUP signal, which would
cause a reload of the VPN service config files.  And that's good to.
But for either case we have to ensure that, if a VPN service config file
is removed, and a currently active VPN connection is using that VPN
service, that we terminate that connection immediately too.

It's a very well-defined problem with a known solution.  Slight lack of
time though, but I'd be happy to help someone take a stab at it if they
have the time.