Re: A couple of minor issues with NM

On Sunday 24 December 2006 21:43, Darren Albers wrote:

> What you are calling Open are really unencrypted access points, though
> I guess it is common for people to call them open, but when you select
> WEP there are open and shared modes and that is what we are talking
> about so lets forget about the rest.

Actually, I see now that under Wireless=>Advanced Settings
the Linksys says:
Authentication Type:
    You may choose from Auto or Shared Key. Shared key authentication is more
secure, but all devices on your network must also support Shared Key
authentication.

> So now that we are beyond semantics back to your issue.

Yes, I see I was confused about the shared vs open issue.
However, it hasn't really affected my experience,
as I have not been using any key (and have always chosen Open)
when connecting to the Linksys.

> You said you selected WEP, on DD-WRT there is an option to enter a
> passphrase.  Is that where you entered your key or did you enter it
> into the fields below?

When I used a key I just chose WEP and "64 bits 10 hex digits",
and entered the key - I didn't give a pass-phrase.

But I am not using any key at present -
I have enough problems with NM without adding that.

I have two WiFi networks;
one has essid dd-wrt with no key,
the other has essid maths.tcd.ie with a WEP key.
(I have been using this essid before trying NM,
so I could use my laptop in college.)

NetworkManager currently sees both networks -
the first has signal strength 66, the second 41.
knetworkmanager recognises that there is WEP encryption on the second,
and no encryption on the first.

If it were always like that I would be happy;
but if I re-boot it may or may not come up like this.
NM may see only one network, or it may see none.
As I said, NM in my experience is completely unpredictable.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366