Need more info re: FC6 NetworkManager woes

Hi one again,

In former postings I have recounted my troubles getting NetworkManager
to work on my FC6 box.  As I noted previously, according to the logs, I
never get to stage 3 of 5, IP configuration.

I started trying to diagnose the problem further, using the
"nm-supplicant-test" tool.  Accordingly, after stopping NetworkManager
(and NetworkManagerDispatcher), I ran

# nm-supplicant-test eth1 /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

and received the following output:

        ap_scan: 0
        Key: ssid, Value: "ANY"
        Key: key_mgmt, Value: NONE
        SUP: sending command 'INTERFACE_ADD eth1                wext    /var/run/wpa_supplicant '
        ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not supported
        WEXT auth param 7 value 0x1 - SUP: response was 'OK'
        SUP: sending command 'AP_SCAN 0'
        SUP: response was 'OK'
        SUP: sending command 'ADD_NETWORK'
        SUP: response was '0'
        SUP: sending command 'SET_NETWORK 0 ssid "ANY"'
        SUP: response was 'OK'
        SUP: sending command 'SET_NETWORK 0 key_mgmt NONE'
        SUP: response was 'OK'
        SUP: sending command 'ENABLE_NETWORK 0'
        SUP: response was 'OK'
        Activation (eth1/wireless): association took too long (>20s), failing activation.
        sendmsg(CTRL_IFACE monitor): No such file or directory

(As an aside, I tried setting "ap_scan=1" in the configuration file, but
this didn't seem to change anything.)

If there is anything here that can help someone tell me what is going
wrong, I would really appreciate it; this is driving me crazy.

(Again, I am running FC6, kernel 2.6.18-1.2849.fc6, with the hostap /
hostap_pci driver and a Prism 2.5 card.)

Thanks,

Tony