Unnecessary reconnects

Hi,

I'm using NetworkManager on SuSE 10.1 with the madwifi driver.

I occasionally get messages such as these (from wpa_cli):

> <2>CTRL-EVENT-DISCONNECTED - Disconnect event - remove keys
<2>Trying to associate with 00:13:10:43:3b:42 (SSID='berrier' freq=2462
MHz)
<2>Association request to the driver failed
<2>Associated with 00:13:10:43:3b:42
<2>WPA: Key negotiation completed with 00:13:10:43:3b:42 [PTK=TKIP
GTK=TKIP]
<2>CTRL-EVENT-CONNECTED - Connection to 00:13:10:43:3b:42 completed
(reauth)

When I use NetworkManager and this happens, network manager disconnects
and reconnects, flushing evolution, firefox, gaim, and dhcpcd, as well
as shutting down all my vpn connections.

When I use the traditional ifup/down method and the above disconnect
happens, there is a network hiccup, but after about 15 seconds my
services continue to work, making me think a full reconnect is
unnecessary.

Maybe a timeout period could be lengthened or specified to give enough
time for wpa_supplicant to try to recover before restarting all the
services?

What triggers the disconnect in nm?  The CTRL-EVENT-DISCONNECTED message
from wpa_supplicant, or the inability to reach the gateway?

In either case, it seems that it would be better for nm to wait 10 or 20
seconds to see if the connection comes back up, rather than to restart
the world.

Comments?

Wade