Re: What exactly are the aims of NM?

On Wed, 5 Apr 2006, Timothy Murphy wrote:

On Wednesday 05 April 2006 03:35, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
What was the conclusion?
Will my card ever work with NM?

The Orinoco card on my fully updated FC5 Latitude C640 connected today for
the first time.

Make sure you are fully updated and give it a shot.

(1) What exactly do you mean by "connected"?
I've neve had any problem with any of my Orinoco cards
(over several years) in connecting.
My only problem has been with NM
(and with various Linux wizards).

I mean NetowrkManager starts, attempts to connect to my WEP-encrypted WAP, succeeds, and holds the connection, all without any intervention on my part. (Before, it would hang and eventually time out while trying to complete the connection and light the upper indicator on the NM icon.)

(2) What do you mean by "fully updated"?

Latest kernel, wpa_supplicant, NM, etc. from updates.

What version firmware are you using,
as shown in /var/log/dmesg ?
Mine says
eth0: Firmware determined as Lucent/Agere 6.04

eth1: Firmware determined as Lucent/Agere 8.10

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu