Re: Help, NM breaks my wireless conection (0.3.3-1)

On Fri, 2005-01-14 at 18:23 +0100, Jens Lautenbacher wrote:
> Sorry to still not be convinced: When I /don't/ do anything (not taking
> down and the up again) of my card I don't have any problem. Now you say,
> old NM did this at various (regular? I don't know exactly what you
> meant) points in time to prevent lockups, something new NM does not do
> any longer. You say that doing nothing anymore means that the problems
> the card has anyway will now shine through. But why is the card running
> without a problem without NM running at all? I never had a single
> problem with it the whole year I had it running without knowing about NM
> at all...

No problem.  It seems to be the _frequency_ of down/ups that NM did.
Since NM does them programmatically, it does them much faster and at
more random intervals than you as the user can do them.  Plus, NM
programmatically sets the options on the card faster than you as the
user can type 'iwconfig eth1 xxx xxx'.  This exposes race conditions in
the kernel and the drivers that were never uncovered before, since
people haven't done anything like NetworkManager before.  These races,
assumptions, and errors need to be fixed or worked around.