Re: Help, NM breaks my wireless conection (0.3.3-1)

On Fri, 2005-01-14 at 18:02 +0100, Jens Lautenbacher wrote:
> Hmm? I with the "older" NM (it was the version from rawhide from
> Dec.8th) and before without NM I never ever had ANY problems with my
> prism54 card. I NEVER had the connection look up. It startet at exactly
> the same time yesterday when I installed the new NM.
>
> Currently I start NM to get the card up and running, and then I simply
> stop NM so it leaves it alone... the card runs smooth as ever.
>
> Maybe it would suffice if I could make it stop trying to set the
> frequency to 0.00000 (what ever that is)

Frequency 0.00000 is the "auto" frequency, which is required for certain
operations on Atheros cards.  It is completely ignored on most other
cards, including prism54.

I think the reason you may be having problems now is that I took out
lots of code that took cards down and then up at various points to clear
out settings.  This code had two problems:

1) Caused lots of hotplug events because cards with loaded-firmware
(prism54, atmel, etc) have to re-load the firmware whenever you bring
the device "down".
2) Caused kernel panics on some cards (prism54 and Cisco Aironet) in
some ipv6 code, or at least greatly aggravated them.

The main reason for this was #2.  Unfortunately, that means that this
problem occurs much more often on prism54 cards than it used to...  I
would suggest talking to the prism54 people about this.