Re: Atheros 5212 and NetworkManager

On Fri, 2004-11-12 at 14:38 -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-11-12 at 13:28 -0600, Charles wrote:
> > >
> > > What version of NM?  Older versions of NM had an explict whitelist, CVS
> > > has fixed that.
> >
> >   I am using the latest CVS.  I was unclear in my previous message.  I
> > mean to say scanning for access points.  It is as if NetworkManager
> > cannot properly scan APs with the 5212.  Even if it successfully makes a
> > list of access points it never connects to one.
>
> Does "iwlist eth1 scanning" work?

It works on occasion.  It seems to work best (but not always) after
setting iwpriv mode.  It does not consistently work and I have mailed
the MADWIFI mailing list to no avail.  It does seem to work after
running wpa_supplicant which leads me to wonder if wpa_supplicant has
some form of workaround for the atheros built in.  I have gotten
NetworkManager to work once or twice but always after running
wpa_supplicant to connect to a wpa-psk network.  I have never used
NetworkManager to connect to a wep network successfully.  I think the
odds of getting NetworkManager to work with a 5212 on a wep network
would be astounding at this point.

> Do you have any sense for how long associating with an access point
> takes?  Could it be more than 5 seconds?

When I specify an essid in my network config, it takes less than 5
seconds.  When I do not specify an essid in my network config it seems
to take longer.