cut copy disabled in right click menu when file selected

When I first start Nautilus, the right click options work how I would expect.  After several operation, or when I open a second Nautilus windown to copy from one to the other, the cut copy paste menu options are all greyed out.  Delete is also greyed out.  I am both the owner and group owner of the file in my own home directory.  Is there an option or setting that I need to modify to change this behavior?

Thanks, Ken