Re: [Usability] few things

On Wed, 2008-01-30 at 01:31 +0100, Karsten Bräckelmann wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-01-29 at 12:23 +0100, John Keller wrote:
[SNIP]
> Another "however". This depends on the definition of "click".
>
> For a *click* (read: hit the mouse button and get your finger off of
> that button), the context menu stays on screen -- waiting for the user
> to select an item and activate it by a click. This is the case for both
> GNOME versions.
>
> For a *click-and-hold* (read: half a second or thereabout), the context
> menu does *not* stay on screen but disappear after finally releasing the
> mouse button. Again, this is the case for both GNOME versions. [1]
>
> Nothing changed. So far. The *difference* is, that with recent GNOME,
> there is an automatically selected item. Which, in the latter case of
> click-and-hold, is activated on releasing the mouse button...
>

> [1] GAR, just found out, that this is not true with the Simple and Thin
>     Ice GTK themes, even on a recent GNOME. The actual difference here
>     appears to be the (top) border of the context menu. A single pixel
>     *does* make a difference...
>

> > Not sure what causes this inconsistency (GTK+, theme, user error [e.g.
> > me!]). But I agree, my personal preference would be that no contextual
> > menu item is ever selected by default (emphasis on personal preference).
> >
> > In any case, doesn't seem to be Nautilus-specific. For usability list?
>
> Usability list, yeah, Cc'ed. And the theme designers headquarters. Maybe
> even GTK+, though I don't think so.

What changed is the GTK+ theme, which does today sets the thickness of
the menu to 0px. This means that the menu items goes right to the edge
of the menu.
I think that the best best solution will be to change the theme so that
the thickness is not 0px (1px for at least the x or y direction). I'll
need to check what exactly needs to be done to fix this on the theme
side, or whether a design change may be necessary.

Benjamin