Re: thumbnailing problems - exif orientation

On Thu, 2007-04-12 at 15:16 -0400, Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak wrote:
> Users are starting to notice ugly thumbnailing problems because Nautilus
> ignores the exif orientation tag in jpeg files, whereas modern viewers
> like gThumb and eog respect the orientation tag - but they also share
> thumbnails with Nautilus.
>
> Which means that thumbnails are sometimes right, sometimes wrong,
> depending which application generated them. To the user, it seems random.
>
> So... can I gently prod the Nautilus crew into fixing this? libexif has
> "issues", I agree, so maybe a mini-parser can be written to just read
> the exif orientation tag.

Nautilus just uses gnome_thumbnail_factory_generate_thumbnail() from
libgnomeui. It seems like a good idea if someone added exif support to
it.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's an all-American day-dreaming firefighter living undercover at Ringling
Bros. Circus. She's a provocative tempestuous nun fleeing from a Satanic cult.
They fight crime!