Re: [Nautilus-list] .nautilus-metafile.xml

Oops! Not only had Darin already answered this, but he checked the actual
text in the dialog, instead of quoting something from memory that has since
changed.

John

on 1/9/01 2:40 AM, Ross Burton at r burton 180sw com wrote:

> Dennis Bjorklund wrote:
>>
>> Nautilus have a tendency to leave files around. Especially .thumbnails and
>> .nautilus-metafile.xml. How does this work tohgether with a multiuser
>> system like unix. I have directories that are writable by several users.
>> What happens when they go to the same place. Will everyone overwrite the
>> .nautilus-metafile.xml from another user. Actually they cant. Does that
>> mean it's just the first one that happend to go to a directory that saves
>> the metafiles. And this metafile contains window-sizes and such. What if
>> the first user have a 1600x1200 screen and the next have a 650x480
>> screen...
>>
>> I think this is a broken behaviour, but maybe that's just me. Or maybe I
>> don't know how it works.
>>
>> My question is really, what is the philosophy behind this?
>
> I personnally think that by default these files should be stored in a
> single location under $HOME, with an option to write .metafile in the
> directory if required.

That's not the default, but it is a setting. Change "Make Folder Appearance
Details Public" to "Never" in the Settings dialog.

John