Re: future of Hildon

On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 00:20:04 +0100

Alberto> That's right, and is one variable to consider (although more
Alberto> different devices don't necessarily mean more end users). But
Alberto> well, I'm not a futurologist and I don't know how much Maemo 5
Alberto> or Moblin 2 will succeed :)

I'm not futurologist either, but based on what I've seen, Intel showed
demo of smart-phone running Moblin and it is expected to see first
smart-phones next year after launching of Moorestown cpu, although the
real stuff in terms of power saving is expeceted with Medfield platform.

Otoh, N900 is 4th step out of 5 in Nokia's plans and it is doubtful if
it will succeed among smart-phone buyers or will it be consumed only by
geeks.

Since I plan to write open-source app (kind of 'lite' version of
desktop companion) using GTK+, it seems to be that Moblin which
targets netbooks and MDI is more appropriate platform than Maemo.

Alberto> I don't think that any GTK/Hildon version for Maemo 6 will be
Alberto> developed by Nokia, when they announced it during the GCDS
Alberto> they said clearly that GTK would be maintained by the
Alberto> community.

Right. GTK will be maintained by community, but most probably not
developed further 'cause Nokia is focusing on Qt which means that
Hildon is probably dead-end on the Maemo.

Sincerely,
Gour

--

Gour  | Hlapicina, Croatia  | GPG key: F96FF5F6