Re: hildon gnome org

Hi Carlos,

Le mercredi 23 mai 2007, à 01:01 +0300, Carlos Guerreiro a écrit :
> At this point maemo's infrastructure is becoming inappropriate
> to host the development of a project that needs to be spun off
> from the specifics of the maemo environment and made accessible
> to developers interested in deploying Hildon in other environments
> such as Mobile Ubuntu.
>
> Setting up independent Hildon infrastructure (mailing list, wiki,
> svn, bugzilla,...) is clearly an option but there's a bolder possibility
> to consider: relocating the Hildon project to GNOME infrastructure
> moving Hildon closer to the project and community it is based on.
>
> I believe GNOME is where Hildon ultimately belongs as a
> GNOME Mobile framework optimized for the Tablet / MID form factors.
>
> Hildon could not (yet?) be part of the GNOME release but I believe it
> would fit well as a user of the GNOME infrastructure and could
> well move closer. As an example, releasing Hildon on a public
> schedule aligned with GNOME's is a very attractive proposition right now.
>
> Getting there would require solving a lot of practical problems
> mainly but not only at Nokia and would not happen overnight but
> could be worth the effort. So hildon gnome org is a possibility
> that we are very seriously considering now at Nokia.
>
> With that in mind, I'd like to hear from the GNOME community,
> particularly the GNOME Mobile people, about how realistic and
> desirable you find this possibility.

I think this is an awesome idea, and I'm pretty sure there'd be no major
issue in moving hildon to the GNOME infrastructure.

Hildon doesn't have to follow a schedule similar to the GNOME one for
this move to happen. Of course, this is also something which would be
nice :-)

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.