Re: Turning compositing on and off at runtime

On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 08:40:20AM -0700, Elijah Newren wrote:
> On 2/15/06, Rob Adams <readams readams net> wrote:
> > It's not really a new feature; it just activates the currently dormant
> > metacity compositing.  Maybe it could be committed without the schema?
>
> Compositing isn't a new feature, but that's kind of beside the point;
> adding the ability to turn something on and off dynamically is itself
> a new feature.  It may be one worth getting approval for, and since it
> is relatively self-contained and has few side-effects or changes in UI
> or anything that might otherwise be scary (with the exception of the
> string freeze break which you suggest a workaround for), it might not
> be too hard to get through the approval process this late.    The
> question is whether it's worth the trouble or whether we should just
> wait...

We still have a month of testing time. Compositing is a major
feature for the group of motivation-power-users Jdub talks
about. I say we should do it. With compositing off by default, we're
not taking extensive risks.

--d

--
Davyd Madeley

http://www.davyd.id.au/
08B0 341A 0B9B 08BB 2118  C060 2EDD BB4F 5191 6CDA